It was a gorgeous day for picking! We were able to meet our goal of two gallons in 45 minutes. My boyfriend is an expert at picking quickly (as I am an expert of eating unrinsed berries) and the other couple with us were experts at picking perfectly plump berries!
Later, we had a fun girls’ night making blueberry pie! The process was fairly smooth. I would post the video….but I don’t have the upgraded version of WordPress.
Besides eating them straight off the bush, my favorite way to eat blueberries is in scones! Scones can compliment both coffee and tea, soothe taste buds or excite them (with blueberry jam or cream cheese!). The scones I make are perfect for breakfast or dessert. Here is the recipe:
Here is the recipe for my favorite scones:
Scones (double batch)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten (3rd egg for browning)
- 1 cup blueberries (or substitute with currants!)
- 8-12 Tablespoons 1/2 and 1/2 cream
1. Cut butter into dry ingredients to make a fine crust.
2. Stir in eggs and fruit and enough cream to leave the sides of the bowl.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead 10 times. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into diamond shapes. Beat 3rd egg and brush on dough before baking.
4. Bake at 400 degrees 10-12 minutes.